ashleydavis

ashleydavis

The Mitten Board Book Edition - Jan Brett

The book The Mitten by Jan Brett is a fantastic story with twist to it. It starts out as the young child named Nicki who begs his grandmother to knit him a pair of white mittens to keep his hands warm. The grandmother refuses at first because she thinks he will lose them in the snow, as they are the same color, but eventually gives in and makes them. The story shifts from the little boy to the animals of the woods when the little boy drops his mitten and a mole, then a rabbit, then a badger and so on until finally a big brown bear followed by a mouse wants to snuggle up in the mitten to stay warm. The illustrations are great and fun for children of all ages. This would be a book that I would share during reading time. I would have stuffed animals of the animals found in the book and a shower curtain sewn up to act as the mitten that the animals climb in to in order to stay warm. I would rate this book a four out of five and this would be an 800L on the Lexile scale. I would recommend adding this story to any child's book shelf.